At the bottom of this page is a video showing you how to do POS Lab research.
To start this section I'm going to jump on the item which most people don't understand and the majority are confused over.
Scientific Networking Skill
If you don't have a station with an OFFICE in the same solarsystem as your POS labs then the BPOs HAVE to be manually put in the POS labs to do any work on them. This is cast in stone and there's no way around it, pure and simple.
If you have a station with an office in the same solarsystem then with the skill Scientific Networking trained to Level 1 the BPOs can stay safe in the station.
The skill Scientific Networking allows YOU to start lab jobs remotely, this does NOT mean the BPOs can be located anywhere out of the same solarsystem as your labs. The pre-requisites for Scientific Networking are Laboratory Operation 4 (which requires Science 3).
- Level 1 - allows for range within the same solarsystem (you need this to do jobs leaving the BPO in a station in the same solarsystem).
- Level 2 - extends the range to 5 jumps (that means YOU can be up to 5 jumps away to start a job, the BPO HAS to either be in the POS Lab or in the solarsystem station where your POS is)
- Level 3 - extends the range to 10 jumps.
- Level 4 - extends the range to 20 jumps.
- Level 5 - extends the range to the full region your POS is in.
There's also another way to keep the BPO in a corp hangar in the same solarsystem as your POS Labs, simply leave the BPO in the station corp hangar and warp to your POS lab and initiate the job from there. This way you do not need to train the Scientific Networking skill at all.
A standard Mobile Lab has:
- 1 copy slot (0.75 time multiplier)
- 5 invention slots (0.5 time multiplier)
- 3 material research slots (ME) (0.75 time multiplier)
- 3 time efficiency research slots (PE) (0.75 time multiplier)
An Advanced Mobile Lab has:
- 3 copy slots (0.65 time multiplier)
- 2 invention slots (0.5 time multiplier)
- 2 material efficiency slots (ME) (0.75 time multiplier)
- 0 time efficiency research slots (PE)
All Mobile POS lab jobs have to be started from a corp hangar (not a corp hangar array) and the person starting the job requires the roles "Rent Research Slot" and "Factory Manager". Unfortunately the person putting on the jobs will also require access to a corp wallet (make it an empty one), even if you are not charging for the slots on the POS labs.
Process of using mobile labs
Researching ME or PE
- Take BPO to lab and put it inside the LAB hangar and initiate the job from there
- Leave the BPO in a CORP station hangar in a station IN THE SAME solarsystem as the POS Labs and with Scientific Networking L1 you can initiate the job from the CORP hangar in the station
- Leave the BPO in a CORP station hangar in a station IN THE SAME solarsystem as the POS Labs and fly to the POS Lab and initiate the job through the S&I interface (this doesn't require the SN skill trained)
- Take ALL the items (decryptor, datacores, BPC, interface) to the POS LAB and put them in a hangar in the LAB.
- Initiate the job from the POS Lab Hangar.
- Once completed take out the interface as it's not consumed in the job and return it to whence it came.
Q. Why do I get the message "Cannot establish contact with the Science &
Industry facility. If it is in a different system you might have to travel
A. Because you HAVE to start a job from the CORPORATE hangar not your own hangar and it HAS to be in the same solarsystem as the POS Lab.
Q. What happens to corp jobs I put on if I leave the corp?
A. The jobs will remain until completed where another corp member delivers them, the BPOs will return to whatever corp hangar they were put on from.
Q. What happens to BPOs if the office has unrented?
A. They go into a big black hole, in other words you lose them, however this is a bug so petition to have them returned. Alternatively re-rent the office and according to some the BPOs will reappear.
Q. What happens to my BPOs if my Control Tower or Labs get blown up?
A. If they were put in the lab then u lose them, if they were started from an office in a station then they will return to it after the POS or control tower goes pop. Any BPCs/BPOs left in the labs will be lost to you.
Q. Can other corps use my POS Labs?
A. No - even though it has a "public" option it doesn't work.
Q. How do other corps in my Alliance use POS labs?
A. There's several answers to this so here goes -
A. If you are decared war upon then concord will not interveen, otherwise they will.
Q. Can I rent out my lab slots to the public?
A. Short answer is no you can't even though there's a public option (it doesn't work). There are 2 ways you can offer research services:
Warning - Large video.... please be patient.